Nutrition : Powerful foods
It is important for you to understand that all foods that come from nature, that is, from the hands of our God have great benefits for our health.
The color of our food shows its nutritional composition and can also be a good reference for preparing balanced meals. The greater the variety of color in your plate, the greater quantity of nutrients will be eaten, since each color has specific benefits and nutrients. The rule especially applies to fruits, vegetables and grains. So, a good exercise is to look at your plate and see if it is colorful.
Our body has a complex mechanism, which involves primarily the liver and kidneys in a simplified manner. The liver causes harmful substances (toxins) to dissolve better in the urine so the kidneys can eliminate them easily. A meal which lacks vitamins and nutrients along with everyday stress, pollution, drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes can overload the liver and kidneys in this detoxification process (Can you see how Faith frees us from many of these factors!).
Our body is always working on this DETOX process, but it’s when we are resting that it is in full swing to renew our cells and the “cleaning” is done. It is essential for us to cooperate as much as we can and make the most out of this internal “cleansing”.
Here are 5 friends for a better DETOX:
1. Water is important – As we learned above, most of the toxins will be eliminated through our urine, so be sure to drink at least 1 ½ liters of water daily.
2. Rest – Have you noticed how we act when we are tired? I’m sure you have and now that we know that resting is part of the DETOX process you should seek to establish a time to disconnect from everything and relax. Even if you have a lot of work you should try to rest.
3. The Power of Broccoli – Studies have shown that broccoli is one of the foods with greater anti-cancer benefits. In addition, there are other benefits gained by consuming this vegetable, it acts as a decongestant, an anticoagulant, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, it protects the liver, combats fungi, lowers cholesterol, combats muscle pain, lowers blood pressure, fights viruses and is an analgesic. Here’s a tip: Steam cook the broccoli so that you don’t lose as many nutrients as you would if you boiled it in water.
4. Berries – blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are rich in antioxidants, they can help combat damage to the body. “They are an important defense shield and help in the production of cells that fight unwanted invaders.” Raspberries are known to reduce the risk of cancer by 80%. Blueberries help fight depression, and urinary infections. Also currants are rich in vitamin C and potassium and they can help lower blood pressure levels. They all fight against skin aging, vascular leakage and prevent varicose veins, they low sugar levels which helps maintain low blood glucose levels and act as a diuretic, like a real DETOX. They are rich in vitamin C and other substances such as anthocyanin, an antioxidant. TIP: for a simple and delicious shake add red berries to a soy or rice beverage, 1 ripe banana and 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds and mix everything in a blender and enjoy.
5. Citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, pineapples, etc.) – They are a diuretic fruit and work in the prevention of aging cells. They are rich in vitamin C, which not only detoxify our body, but also has digestive properties. My favorite juice is: 2 pineapple slices, a handful of green vegetables (parsley, spinach or watercress), 1 piece of ginger about 2 cm and mint to taste. Mix everything in a blender and drink immediately. This is great for breakfast, as a snack or for dinner. It’s delicious, refreshing and super healthy.
6. Try eating something light for your last meal of the day, like a colorful salad with some protein (egg, tuna, fish, meat, chicken, tofu) or a vegetable soup. And before bedtime drink a citrus juice as mentioned above. You’ll notice how much more willing you will wake up.
When we have a dream we persevere and fight for it until we accomplish it.
Keep your dream alive.
There’s more to come next week.