How to age in a healthy way through your diet (part 1)
Healthy and safe eating habits is the most important thing for a life of quality and healthy aging.
In the month of October we celebrate National health Awareness month, and the theme proposed for this year is “Food Safety” as many foods may contain harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites or chemicals that can be responsible for a variety of diseases.
What are the five rules for food safety:
– Wash foods thoroughly;
– Keep raw foods separate from cooked foods;
– Cook food thoroughly;
– Keep food in a safe temperatures;
– Use drinking water.
We should all follow healthy eating habits every day in order to reduce the risk of diseases caused by a nutritional unbalance such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and other diseases.
Nutritional unbalance can be when there is an excess and or lack of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) and micronutrients (minerals and vitamins), excess food chemical additives, such as artificial and agrochemical sweeteners in the body.
An important concept called “food variability,” suggests to include all the food groups in one’s daily diet, which doesn’t mean that it has to be consume all in one day, but they should be part of your eating habits, ensuring that all the necessary nutrients needed for good health are being consumed.
It is up to each one of us to be conscious of the importance of consuming this food variation and make the best chose, just like everything in life there are always
choices to be made, when we are fully aware of what is intended of us everything becomes easier, by opting for what is PRIORITY which is to be healthy and turn away from what you PREFER and certainly you will be eating a balanced diet.
Let us find out what are the best and healthier choices:
- Do not starve yourself. Avoid not eating for long periods of time, which makes you eat whatever appears in front of you without thinking of what is a “priority”;
- Re-educate your plate, learn to enjoy healthier foods;
- Good Health and a good Life begins in your shopping cart;
Put healthy foods always in sight, so when you want to eat they will be at hand and therefore you will not be making bad choices;
- Learn how to make healthy recipes, search the internet and have fun in the kitchen, this will bring you fantastic benefits;
- Eat slowly until you are satisfied, because the faster you eat the more food you will consume.
After we learn how to eat better, it is important to know what to eat, because with every small daily action we can maintain safe and healthy eating habits.
Want to know how? We will talk about this in the next post…
Excerpt from Dr. text. Fernanda Tavares
17th November 2015 at 19:10
Thank you Mrs Barbara